Subscribe For Free Sports News Update. Enter your email address:

 

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Manny Pacquiao Will Fight Oscar De La Hoya

Oscar De la Hoya fight Manny Pacquiao

Goliath meets David in a fair and square battle. In a non-title bout on 6 December in Las Vegas, WBC lightweight world champion Manny Pacquiao will fight Six-weight division world champion Oscar de la Hoya.

The fight, which the 35-year-old De la Hoya refused to label his last, will take place at the MGM Grand.

"My focus is on my next fight. I am not going to talk about retiring," said the American, who has won 10 world titles in all.

"I am going to give 100% of my focus to this fight and then we will see."

De la Hoya had been scheduled to fight Floyd Mayweather on 20 September before his countryman announced his retirement in June this year.

De la Hoya rose to fame by winning a gold medal for the United States at the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona where he earned the nickname "Golden Boy".

Since then he has won titles at six different weight classes and boasts a record of 39-5 that includes 20 knockouts. His last victory, over American Steve Forbes, came in May.

Filipino Pacquiao, 29, has built up a huge following back home and he believes he can upset his opponent by utilizing his greater speed.

"I'm faster and younger and I think I can beat him, it is going to be a great fight," he said.

FYI - Behind Sports

No comments: